Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Random page from the middle of my first book, and marketing whine

WHINE ON -

I have ebook versions of Wizard and Spy, The Ex-Apprentices up on Amazon and Smashwords but now I'm formatting it for print. Even after I read over it myself and had a friend who is an excellent editor read it, I still found a few annoying errors like having a word left out on one page. Not a lot, and no one has complained, but I thought I had caught them all. GRR.

I'm frustrated that I can't do a lot more marketing, but there is not much time after my day job, writing and all the general trivia of life - washing the dishes, feeding the cat, fueling the car, paying the bills. I certainly see why people prefer to go with a traditional publisher. BUT - if I had time to send out dozens of letters and sample chapters to publishers and agents, I'd have enough time to do the marketing myself, now wouldn't I?

WHINE OFF -

Below is a random page from my book because, really, why not?
-----------------------------
Aunt Lott swept in, with a woman who looked a lot like Denae, except darker, older and much, much, much angrier at the moment.
“Exactly what has been going on here?” demanded the woman, in the same stern voice they had heard when they jumped on the path half an hour ago.
Denae paused, with a teapot poised to pour into a little white china cup.
“It’s my day for healing, Ma,” she said in her sweetest, most solicitous voice. “Did you forget?”
Lucia had to bite the inside of her lip to keep herself from smiling. No one who had not been there could possibly believe that this girl with the freshly scrubbed face and hands pouring tea had neatly dispatched several large attackers in a matter of minutes. Unless, possibly, they knew her very well, because Denae’s mother was still looking at her suspiciously, but all she said was, “Hmph,” in a very disapproving tone of voice.
Turning to Alana she inquired, much more politely, “Could you tell me if my daughter has been here all day, by any chance?”
“Oh, yes, ma’am,” nodded Alana eagerly. “They’ve been here all day. A great help to me they have been, too.”
“Well, there it is then, Rinda,” Aunt Lott said to Denae’s mother. “Though not quite sure what it is? I mean, can you believe it, conjuring up a well and dropping them down it! Who ever heard of such a thing?”
The two women began to laugh so hard that they flopped into a couple of easy chairs.
“What’s so funny about that?” asked Lucia. “You told me that’s what Azura might do to me, and I didn’t think it was so funny.”
“Azura?” asked Rinda, with a raised eyebrow, but Aunt Lott waved the implied question away.
“Nothing,” the midwife said. “We met her on the road, that’s all.”
Rinda looked as if she didn’t believe that was all there was to it, but was polite enough to keep her opinions to herself.
Aunt Lott turned in her chair to face her apprentice, “Lucy, conjure up a well and throw you down it is just an expression! I have never heard of it actually happening anywhere. It is like when you say to someone leaving on a journey, ‘May the road rise up to meet you.’ It’s an expression to mean that you hope everything goes as well as possible on their trip. You don’t really expect to see the road rising up to meet them as they walk away, do you?”
“Well, no,” Lucia admitted, and, as she noticed Aunt Lott staring at her thoughtfully, she decided it would be wise not to pursue it any further.
“It’s almost like it was done by someone who had heard about magic but didn’t really know any,” said Rinda to Lott. “But that doesn’t make sense, does it? Because if they didn’t know any, they couldn’t have done it.”
“Yes, you’re right,” said Lott, still distracted.
She might have said something else, but the captain’s laugh interrupted her.
“You’ve got to admit it was funny, all of those boys in the well. And they deserved it, too, if the story they told was true. Imagine, attacking a girl and an old lady. I almost wish it were my girl involved. Took out four of ‘em, she did. Good for her!”

No comments:

Post a Comment