Sunday, June 19, 2011

Why blog? Do I need another writing task like a hole in the head?

I read a blog (what else?) that tracked how long the average person sticks to blogging. He said that the average blog has the lifespan of a fruit fly. After a month, most people give it up. I can understand that. I never have enough time for writing and you might think that I need another writing task like a hole in the head. That's exactly why I need a blog.

Huh?

There are a million reasons not to write and this month has had all of them. Family - my sister was in town, my grandmother needed my help. Work - the Rules Nazi wanted some work re-done because it wasn't in keeping with paragraph 6, article b, page 34,786 of the rules manual that I never read. I went off to training in East of Jesus Nowhere. Then there was the usual stuff like buying food, fixing the computer that broke and washing my clothes.

and I have to hiking every now and then or do something to maintain my sanity.

I read an interview with Amanda Hocking recently, the ebook phenom everyone is talking about. She said she had to learn to treat her writing like a job. I already have a job that is eating my life and I suppose I could quit it and take an easier job but I won't.

So, why blog? Because each week I have to face that I'm going to write about how my writing went this week and I never want to admit I didn't write anything other than memos to my manager, Dan the Invisible Man. 

I did manage to write another section in my outline this week (just before this blog (-:  ). 

When I can't find the time to sit and write an actual chapter, but I have an idea in my head, I add that to the outline for whatever book I'm working on at the moment. Later, if I have time but no idea, I pull up my outline and flesh out a chapter from that.

Maybe it is true that the greatest obstacle to writing and publishing is a regular salary. I actually do have two books done that I finished while sitting in airports and in the back row in boring meetings. I just wrote those to alleviate my own boredom. I sent a letter to one publisher and never heard back. A second publisher wrote me after a year - just sent a form letter. I know "real" writers send out 50 letters to 50 different publishers. 

Writing is interesting. Writing to publishers isn't.

I know, I know. This week, I'm going to get up early every morning and write for an hour. I'm also going to contact one publisher. I'll do it, too, because otherwise I'll have to admit next week that I didn't.

Now you know why I need a blog.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished your ex-apprentices wizards and spy book. I wanted to let you know that after 50+ years of reading sci-fi and fantasy I usually find the books formulaic. That's ok, they aren't for brilliance they are for recreation and escape! But your book different. It's wasn't the typical quest story - and I really enjoy it. The characters were fun and the story was complex rather than linear.

    I'm glad I took a chance on purchasing it and I'll write a positive review on Amazon, something I've only done once or twice before.

    I am impressed by people like yourself with the fortitude to make your vision come to reality. I've been trying to do similar with a full-time job and it's SLOW work.

    Good Luck and good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the kind words and thanks in advance for the review. You made my day. I haven't been reading sci-fi and fantasy for as long as you but for quite a while - ever since I found that there was a whole SERIES of Wizard of Oz books in the public library. I think I was nine years old at the time.

    I get sent to a lot of BORING places, so I often have time to write on airplanes and in hotel rooms. You're right, though, it is really hard to fit writing in around my day job. Something has to give and that something has been the marketing. I haven't done any.

    ReplyDelete